2013/7/29

Question I always failed in an interview

沒有留言:
 
So, (my name), you just worked in your current company for one year which is not a long period of time, why do you want to leave?

It's the question that I always can't make interviewer satisfied.


Yeah, i know what you are thinking. You don't want your employee to be jumpy. But I know too, if I have worked for a company for like 3 years, you will still ask this question but change it a bit. Duration doesn't matter, what you care is the action - LEAVE.

I interviewed for 3 companies and every interviewer asked me the similar question. I failed twice and don't think I performed well in the third either. Here is the experience of failure:
1. I interviewed for an education institute. I said I am passionate about education industry because of the experience in AIESEC. Why did I worked in marketing but not education? I lost. I couldn't convince the interviewer. It's normal to figure out what you truly want to do in your life and it takes time, isn't it? So was I  supposed to know that I wanted to work in education when I made my JUPUS choice?

2. I interviewed for a manufacturer using crowd-sourcing. The HR staff asked the question again. I said something like "I feel it is enough and don't think I can't leave more". Guess what the staff said? "Then you will leave (company name I was interviewing for) if you find you don't have anything to learn?" I didn't know how to respond and she was kind of like gave up and moved on to ask another question. I said I have something to add on, saying my current company was a traditional Chinese company and I wanted to work in something different. But she didn't buy that.

3. I interviewed for a non-profit institution. I did prepared the question but it didn't work. It was still ok in the first one but not the second. I was so stupid that I told the interviewer the truth, which was I wanted to work in an education institute. And it's the confusion and disagreement on her face that made me afraid and could not tell her what I meant. She gave up and moved on to another question.

I am so tired of the liar game that I need to say something to impress those interviewers, saying and packaging the answer to what they want to hear.
Why do I want to leave the company?
- because I want to work in a job I enjoy, where I can devote the effort to achieve significant results (And then you ask, why don't you enjoy what you are doing? because I don't see how are the work I am doing relevant to myself.)
- because I want to work in different work environment that with performance review system in place, that I know what is the impact of my work.
- because I think I deserve higher salary and the company can't provide me. Even worse, they can't pay the salary on time.
- because I am done with the company.

So tell me, how do you feel after hearing this answer? Did I black-month my current employer? Come on, if there is nothing wrong with current employer, why would people leave?

What frustrate me is, I can't never escape with this liar game.

沒有留言:

張貼留言

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff