2019/9/8

48 Quotes from Reinvent Yourself by James Altucher

沒有留言:
 

1. Defining freedom in different ways (reducing expectations, increasing sources of income so no one source controls you).

2. This is now the time to do it. It’s going to be too late tomorrow. And it was too early yesterday.



3. “Strike up one-on-one bonding with the people around you rather than trying to impress the whole group.”

4. Everything I do, everyone I meet, I try to find at least one takeaway. THE PLUS. Then I write it down. I try to remember everything. I talk to my friends about the takeaway. THE EQUAL I share the takeaway. With the MINUS, I try to solidify what I’ve learned from everyone I meet.

5. “‘I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. You live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of.”

6. By the way, I’m still bad at saying “no.” The goal is not to wipe out all of your problems. You can’t. There are no goals. There’s just growth.

7. The key to the Tao of Louis C.K. is to not expend extra energy on things that don’t matter, things that you can’t change, things that you’re being stupid about, things that won’t be issues a billion years from now.

8. “Success is dangerous. One begins to copy oneself, and to copy oneself is more dangerous than to copy others. It leads to sterility.”

9. Picasso also says, “I am always doing things I can’t do — that’s how I get to do them.”

10. Find the things that bring you meaning. Suffering is always there in this world. But if you have meaning, you will have less despair. You will find your calling.”

11. The only skill for survival and success is having that ability to connect.

12. Today everyone wants to “go viral.” They want the Internet to make them an overnight success. But sometimes you just need to work insanely hard and go to the people. One at a time, face to face.

13. The key to an enriched life is to have a burning desire. Wayne says that you must “have an inner flame that, no matter what goes before you, it never flickers.” This desire will enable you to seize every opportunity and create the life you want to live.

14. But I like the idea of taking that “zero” and filling it up, if only for today, with something you love.

15. “Are you willing to do whatever it takes to make the thing that excites you come true? Are you fearless?”

16. I always think this is the magic equation: persistence + love = abundance. You have to love something enough to persist. You have to persist enough to deepen your love. This is true for a career. True for a relationship. But only true for YOU and not what someone tells you to do.

17. “I think it’s very important to have a feedback loop, where you’re constantly thinking about what you’ve done and how you could be doing it better. I think that’s the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself.”

18. Choosing yourself is not about launching a rocket to Mars. Or making $1 billion. Or even creating peace in the world. It’s about not letting anyone tell you that you can’t. It’s about maneuvering around “can’t,” no matter what the risk.

19. The brain has a tendency to believe things even more if they are repeated, regardless of whether or not they are true.

20. A shortcut to meaning is to just every day ask before you go to sleep, “Who did I help today?”

21. “I don’t want to end my career and then start something. I like to do something while my career is still hot and I’ve always enjoyed designing.” Try it. Do two things at once.

22. Dreams are in the head. But action creates growth, creates skill, creates excellence.

23. If I spend my life aiming for that 1% improvement every day then I may never be the best in the world at anything. But I know I will be the best “me” at everything.

24. keep telling my kids, if they want to learn to sing, or to tap dance, or draw manga comics, or to do anything, learn everything you can about all the masters in your field over the past 100 years.

25. If you can’t change the world, then you know you have to change yourself.

26. Mostly, for me, if I can’t say something that has really hurt me, or helped me, or changed me in some way, then I need to just shut up. I need to not write it.

27. The key is to not keep pushing in one area of life, but to use that meta-grammar of success to keep changing and learning and becoming a success in other areas.

28. What are your emotional anchors? The events that staple the timeline of your life to something that totally destroyed who you thought you were?

29. But every day, I feel she is telling me, you have to unlock your creativity. If you don’t let it flow, it will be trapped inside, it will mutate, it will kill you. Every day, create.

30. When you make it about something other than the money, the benefits never stop, since money is only a tiny byproduct of the reasons we live, we do things, we strive for success.

31. He always assumed the worst, so that’s how he was able to diversify all the potential ways he could succeed.

32. It wasn’t luck at all. In chess there’s a saying: “Only the good players are lucky.”

33. Because inside of every problem is the seed of a “difficult gratitude problem” and it always improves your life to solve those problems.

34. But always look for new things to learn. Always look for new ways to surprise. Always look for new ways to break out of your comfort zone.

35. He said the way he did it was by being the servant of many. By constantly adding value to others, value comes back to you. It becomes the most natural thing.

36. A one-sentence summary of how you change the world? Always work hard on something uncomfortably exciting!”

37. You have to constantly come up with new metrics to measure yourself, to compete against yourself, to reach beyond your last plateau.

38. Always understand that coming up with multiple ways to help people is ultimately the way to create the biggest impact.

39. “We had many failures while trying to figure this out. But each failure was simply a way to show us what we should do, what we could do better. Every time we failed we knew at least one thing we could do better.”

40. One good thing to start with is to always imagine the obstacles gone. Imagine, ‘If I wasn’t worried about money, would I still make this trip?’

41. Success is every day, feeling contentment. Contentment is every day: *Improving your relationships *Improving your competence in something you love *Improving your freedom Today I spoke with old friends. I wrote and tried to be creative. I’m improving my relationships with business associates.

Being good

42. You get better at sales and management from studying from the best, reading and re-reading thousands of examples, and understanding the subtleties in the history of what you love.

43. If you get good at anything you get to speak a language that supersedes all other barriers, that builds a bridge directly into the hearts of others who share the same love.

44. When you love something, instant community builds around you to protect you. You become something much bigger than yourself.

45. DON’T WORRY IF YOU DON’T HAVE PASSION FOR ANYTHING. You have passion for your health. Start there. Take baby steps. You don’t need a passion to succeed. Do what you do with love and success is a natural symptom.

46. WHAT IS “IT”? HOW DO I KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO? Whatever area you feel like reading 500 books about. Go to the bookstore and find it. If you get bored three months later go back to the bookstore.

47. There’s no rush. You will reinvent yourself many times in an interesting life. You will fail to reinvent many times. That’s fun also. Many reinventions make your life a book of stories instead of a textbook.

48. Don’t try and find the end of the road. You can’t see it in the fog. But you can see the next step and you do know that if you take that next step eventually you get to the end of the road.

沒有留言:

張貼留言

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff