2014/7/27

8 things I've learned in 26 years

沒有留言:
 

Time flies, another year passed. Inspired by a blogger, I have started to write a blog of this topic since last year. The first year is a transition from graduation to the first full-time job. I hated the job as I found it very boring and of no value. And now, I start to appreciate it provided lots of chances for me to enrich myself. The second year is about changing job and I was unemployed for 3 months. Compare to the first job, the current job is more specific in marketing and thus could provides more learning. It is the time I also realized I really would not stay in this field at the end. I know I don't belong here. 



  1.  Keep a good record of your life Sound like the title of this blog. Because time flies so quickly that you don't really remember what have you been gone through. You may soon forget what are you really doing in the daily routines. You need to record your daily work, life, feeling about them. The record will be raw materials for you to find your true self. You need to keep talking to yourself.
  2.  You are the only one responsible for your learning Don't complain you don't have learning in your company, don't complain your boss for not caring your development. Companies are not AIESEC. No one has the responsibility except yourself. Do think of what you can do. You need to have goal-setting, set the performance measures by yourself and keep track of your performance. Don't rely on your boss. Don't just complete the work of what you are asked for but think of what you can do to add-value.
  3. Start with why, but not what and how I have been trained to follow instruction since childhood and it shaped my personality. When I have a new task assigned, I need know why I need to do it but not what and how to do. That's important because "WHY" determines your strategies and action. The thinking process is far more important and interesting than action.
  4. Accept your truth self. You may want to neglect the dark side of yourself as it is ugly, selfish and evil. If you do so, it is like there is some parts missing that you can't understand the reasons behind your actions. You can only move on with the understanding of yourself, both good and bad sides.
  5. Do you want to be your boss? This is from Scott Dinsmore talking about when to quit. It was a very impactful question to me and I made up my mind for leaving this company. Can you work for a boss that you really want to be him or her next time?
  6. What would be the worst scenario? This question is especially useful when you are confused to make a decision. I spent long time time to make myself courageous enough to resign. I asked myself what I am afraid for doing so. And what would be the worst scenario that would happen? Actually nothing would happen. Your boss will be fine and he is used to it. The company will be fine. You are not that important to them.
  7. Think in long term. I was relieved with this belief during the unemployed period. I was frustrated and didn't know I would get a job. I was so worried. But if you think in long term, say you will probably work for at least 20 years, then these 3 months are so insignificant to your career. And then the problems and frustration will turn small.
  8. Know the end/timeline. With a timeline and goal in mind, you see the destination, you know where you are heading to, you know time is limited. The worst things will not last forever. You know you should try your best to make every day counts.

沒有留言:

張貼留言

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff